Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How big do you want it?

We’ve been looking at blessings. I’ve asked you to pray every day for God to bless you!

Now let’s take a look back into the event of 1 Chronicles 4 – remember Jabez…
1 Chronicles 4:9-10
Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez,
saying, “I gave birth to him in pain.” 
Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “
Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory!
Let your hand be with me,
 and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.”
And God granted his request.

Four part prayer request: (1) bless me (2) enlarge my territory

What does this mean historically and spiritually for Jabez?
Historically – time of the defining of the bonders for the people of Israel – he must have been surveying his property and looking at the boundary marks - I wonder if he had a vision for what he could do with just a little bit more…more means he wanted more influence, more responsibility, and more opportunity to make a mark for the God of Israel. I wonder if he thought, “I was born for more than this! – “Everything, you’ve put under my care, O Lord – take it, and enlarge it.”

Spiritually – glory of God (this is where we get into trouble…we want for our glory – but we get when its for His glory)


An Exciting PrayerO God and King, please expand my opportunities and my impact in such a way that I touch more lives for your glory. Let me do more for you!

Advancement – a vision for more territory for the Glory of God

Appointments – when you pray in faith for more ministry amazing things occur – as your opportunity expands, your ability and resources supernaturally increase – people will be placed in your path who need something from God – I call these divine appointments (Wilkinson calls them Jabez appointments).

Availability – God is looking for followers who want to do more for his glory (sadly, most followers shrink from living the blessings and influence of God)

Example: when we consider the size of our territory we do some mental math…
My abilities + experience + training + my personality and appearance
+ my past + the expectations of others = my assigned territory

We hear that God want to work through us – but we think that means by or in association with.
God said – “Not by might nor by power but by my Spirit, says the Lord of Host” (Zechariah 4:6)

God’s spatiality is working through normal people to be extraordinary – he’s waiting on one thing – Availability
My willingness and weakness + God’s will and supernatural power = my expanding territory

When you take little steps you don’t need God – you don’t need directions – you don’t need a compass!
You are not designed for little steps! You are created with more in you than that! There is more to this life than all this!

“Everything, you’ve put under my care, O Lord – take it, and enlarge it.”


(Sunday's Worship Gathering notes from True North Church January 23, 2011. Seed thought for this message is The Prayer of Jabez: Breaking Through to the Blessed Life by Bruce H. Wilkinson)

No comments:

Post a Comment