Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Mystery of the Missing Security



2 Timothy 4: 6-7 As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. …Paul is ready & able to go. World “Paul is a failure & at lowest point.” Heaven – “Paul is successful, faithful, & warrior. Paul – “I have security & certainness”  
2 Timothy 1:12
For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.

Categories of people:
·         Some people know but don’t believe (not saved and need to trust Jesus)
·         Some people know what they believe and have confidence (Complete in Christ)
·         Some people know what they believe and lack confidence (they don’t know whom they believe) (Saved but not enjoying salvation)
Many have good theology and could pass a test in the knowledge category – but fail in confidence.
So it is possible to know “what” and still be fearful and insecure. (Knowledge alone fails to provide the intimate personal security that is missing in our lives today.)

Here’s the difference:
·         Knowing what – concerns the saving death of Christ – the cross, blood, forgiveness, & home in heaven is the past & future tense of our Salvation.
·         Knowing Whom – based on an intimate personal relationship with the Living Christ – the saving Life of Christ – our present tense of Salvation.

2 Timothy 1:12 points to solving the Mystery of the Missing Security – He keeps what I commit
·         Jesus guarantees to keep what I commit. This means Jesus promises to assume the responsibility for that area of my life that I commit to him. I need not worry any longer about that area of my life.
·         If I do not commit the area to Jesus, I choose to hold the responsibility.

Consider now “AREA 3”
Life consists of three areas – Past, Future, and Present. The mystery of security comes out in these areas.  

Past: 1st you respond to the Gospel:
You have committed the whole question of our past to Jesus. How? Admitted your need, your weakness (inability to handle the situation – sin & shame, guilt); committed to Christ by faith at Cross – He assumed responsibility. We have (can have) complete security – with sin & shame – that it is covered by the blood.  IF not – you can now! You can ask the Lord Jesus to take your sin and cleans you, forgive you, and right you. He still will do this because you are loved by him. Ask him and see for yourself.

Future: 2nd your response to the Gospel:
Jesus guarantees our future – John 14:1-3 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions;  if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.
The heritage of every true believer – home in heaven; Now, I don’t lose sleep wondering if I will get into heaven. Jesus keeps his promises and I know he has made a place for me.

But, you do lose sleep don’t you? The mystery of the missing security (for many) is not in the past or future – but today, tomorrow, next week – There is fear, tension, and worry in your life.
You may be thinking,  “I’ve given these problems today to Jesus and nothing happened!” You unpack your sack, like show and tell, put them on display – let Jesus look them over – then pack them up, pick them up, and plod on with a weight of worry.  

It doesn’t have to be this way! You know this!
HOW? Basically follow same pattern with past & future
·         There was nothing I could do over my sin – I couldn’t help Jesus die on the cross – It had to be Jesus ONLY!
·         I could not (can’t) help Jesus prepare a place in heaven. It has to be Jesus ONLY!

Present: Respond for your Today to the Gospel:
Learning to take our problems & leave them:
·         Own it! Admit you are stumped, admit not ashamed – “Lord Jesus, I cannot, but Lord you can!”
·         Here’s the Plan: He will take it & assume the responsibility for your situation 
·         Here’s the promise: The doubts, fears, worries over the problems will return!
o   Expect these to return
o   Prepare for the return
o   Act on the return – remind yourself (and the Lord) that it is now committed to HIM ONLY! If the doubt returns 100 times, then 100 times quiet, calm assuring pray thanking HIM that all you committed to his care is kept by him.
There is the INITIAL act of committing followed by the CONTINUAL act of committal
Committal is the act of burial.

I remember a story of a man who pulling into his drive way spotted with horror that his dog had his neighbor’s prized pet rabbit now dead in its mouth. The dog must have somehow taken the rabbit from the cage and shook it to death. He panicked!  
Grabbing the rabbit from the dog he took it inside the house. Thinking of sparing his friend and himself embarrassment he hatched a plan. Taking the dead dirty rabbit to the sink he carefully washed the hopper clean. He took the rabbit and dried it with a hair dryer. (Get it? A HARE dryer!) Then sneaking into his neighbor’s yard he carefully with great stealth placed the rabbit back in the cage.
The following weekend while outside his neighbor called him to the fence and shared the strangest and saddest of stories. He shared the tragic news that his rabbit had died in its cage. The guilt ridden man did his best acting job and shared compassion at the loss of a wonderful pet. The neighbor said, “But the strangest and sickest part is that someone dug the rabbit up, cleaned it and put it back into the cage!”
We do that with our problems. We give them to Jesus and then go dig them up and put them in the cage again.

“God’s plan is so simple in its design, so logical in its outworking, so positive in its success.” John Hunter

Do you really know what you believe? (Hope is then your Eternal Security)
Do you really know whom you believe? (Hope of present peace, present power, present security)

No comments:

Post a Comment