Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Discoveries from my Grief


One of my children had so little fear when they were little that it concerned us as parents. Fear can be so healthy in one’s life to keep one out of serious trouble. So, a little fear is a good thing. However, too much fear can stifle us, slow us, and even stop us. These fears, while they are real, must be dealt with quickly, passionately, and with great precision.

Recently I found this quote about fear while I was processing through some huge stuff in my life. It made me realize how closely grief is to fear. C.S. Lewis in A Grief Observed wrote, “No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear. I am not afraid, but the sensation is like being afraid. The same fluttering in the stomach, the same restlessness, the yawning…”

Grief is near to fear and a close relative of desperation.  In fact, these all may be psychologically linked inside our little brains. All three can cripple you. All three can cause you to withdraw. All three can be deadly.

Dealing with these triplets spiritually is rather simple. But simple is never easy. Simple is in fact deep, complicated, and time consuming. Simple is not fast, it’s just the right path to take. The simple answer is to pray.  Listen to David from Psalm 34 offer us his pattern. And think about the fact that at this moment in his life he knew real and great fear.


You want to be free from your fear? Psalm 34: 4 I prayed to the LORD, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears.

Do you feel overwhelmed? Psalm 34: 6 In my desperation I prayed, and the LORD listened; he saved me from all my troubles.

Do you feel like Jehovah is not listening, not paying attention? Psalm 34: 15 The eyes of the LORD watch over those who do right; his ears are open to their cries for help.

Have heart o you of the broken heart Jehovah is near, He is here, and He heals! Psalm 34: 18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment