Monday, February 3, 2014

You need a shield


We don’t think much of shields now. Maybe we should. I must confess that when the thought of shields arise in my mind the thought goes to protecting my computer. Recently, because of cold weather inside a 100 year old house shields took on the form of barriers to keep the cold out of my doors and windows. What are the shields you have in place in your life?

Shields have a tendency in a physical sense to be one sided. Just consider any adventure scene in a movie with fierce warriors charging forward to the battle. Their shields were used to protect the front of their bodies. These shields are limited in covering potential. As long as the warrior is charging forward there is protection and power in the shield.

Trouble is we can get attacked by trouble from all sides. When the day of trouble comes it’s a great reality to know that Jehovah is “a shield around me.” As a worshiper of Jesus I am in a position to be surrounded by his protection, provisions, and power.

Thank you Lord for surrounding us with your shield – yourself!
Thank you Lord for your rescue when no one thought you would come through for us.
Thank you Lord for answering our cries – you are our GLORY!   



Psalm 3
A psalm of David, regarding the time David fled from his son Absalom.
1 O LORD, I have so many enemies; so many are against me.
2 So many are saying, “God will never rescue him!”
Interlude (Selah)

3 But you, O LORD, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
4 I cried out to the LORD, and he answered me from his holy mountain.
Interlude (Selah)

5 I lay down and slept, yet I woke up in safety, for the LORD was watching over me.
6 I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies who surround me on every side.

7 Arise, O LORD! Rescue me, my God!
Slap all my enemies in the face! Shatter the teeth of the wicked!
8 Victory comes from you, O LORD. May you bless your people.
Interlude (Selah)

No comments:

Post a Comment