Monday, January 12, 2015

The Day Before the Walls Fall

(Joshua 5:13-15)
Sergeant Alvin C. York was the most famous soldier of World War I. Many people do not know that Alvin York single-handedly captured 132 German soldiers one day in France. However, Alvin C. York was a most unlikely man to become a legendary hero. York felt that his Christian faith barred him from killing anyone, even in war. After being drafted, York made it known that he was a conscientious objector; that he would not be able to kill other men. He was sent home on a ten-day leave to think about his situation and to consider the scriptures a Christian captain had shared with him. York was promised that he would be dismissed from the Army if he still felt the same way when he returned.

Finally in a crisis of faith, God showed York that he could obey God and defend the helpless in Europe at the same time. He wrote, “As I prayed there alone… I knew that He was there. He understood I didn’t want to be a fighter or a killing man… He took pity on me and gave me the assurance I needed… It was His will and that was enough for me.” Sgt. York had to win the war in his mind before he could win the battles that lay ahead of him in the trenches of France. The Walls will fall before the walls fall!!

1. The Struggle before the Day
v. 13 a - ...when Joshua was by Jericho…(what are the feelings just before the battle?? FEAR; Strength;
The questions?? Do I have what it takes; Is this the right strategy; is this the right time-plan-place; Is this what the Lord wants of my life… )

The Battle was being fought internally (many of our struggles are fought on the inside..)
Stepping into your Canaan is a radical step - (we hear a lot today about radicals: people who have so given themselves over to do, say, accomplish objectives by any means… is this not the place we are to be under the power and control of the Lord?? to so surrender ourselves over to the Lordship of Christ that he may do, say and accomplish in us his kingdom principles in this world. )

You see to enter into our Canaan we must first come through our Jericho - the sign and symbol of a fortified city… the image of barriers that we think will somehow protect us, surround us, secure us - but in the presence of the Lord Jesus they are but mere stones - rubble that must fall so that we may live in victory… what we think is a security is in fact a prison of our sinfulness and selfishness! (We have to die in order to live -- The cross bids me come and die that I may live…)

Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

2. The Sight before The day
13 b - Posture of the Lord - ready for battle - not passive, not weak, not confused, not concerned… No! The day of battle has arrived and where is our Lord? He is ready! He is strong!
He is confident and Courageous! (The day you get ready to radically surrender to the Lord He is ready to fight!)
13 c - 14 - Joshua’s question reveals much - “Are you for us or for our adversaries?”
(Who are you? Why are you here? What are you up too? What response do you require of me?)

Position of The Lord - (revealed) in the answer… (14) No, but as the Commander of the army of the Lord I have now come.”
You see we must not ask is God for us? We must ask Am I with the Lord?
(Theophany - this is Jesus the eternal Son of God. He reveals himself many times in the OT:
 He appeared to Hagar, Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Gideon, 3 Hebrews in the furnace, Daniel,
Zechariah,

3. The Surrender before the Day
Proper Response - 14 b Humble worship
Before you can conquer, you must first be conquered!
Many today need to do just what Joshua did right here. Many need to lay down their swords at the feet of the Captain of the Lord’s host; surrender their pride and yield to His authority!

Proper Recognition - 15 - “ Take your sandal off your foot…” (Single sandal, single foot… why?) He is our Captain our Commander - our covenant maker…
When a covenant was made between two individuals, in which one person possessed power to keep the covenant and the other didn’t, the weaker individual handed the other individual one of his shoes. It was his way of saying, “I can’t, but you can.”

For Joshua, this was a challenge for him to come to the place where he could admit his own weakness and inability to gain the victory. It was a call for him to surrender to the Lord.
He is able - I’m not
He is capable - I’m not
He Can! I can’t - but He can!


Take off your shoe! Better yet lay down your sword, shield, and shoes… the Battle is the Lord’s

No comments:

Post a Comment