Monday, January 26, 2015

What you need to go to the next level!

Do you want to go to the next level? Whatever that means! For me this means being the man God intended for me to be. Recently I spoke on the subject of promises. The Psalms are full of these promises. I'm drawn to Psalm 89:3 - But I will never stop loving him nor fail to keep my promise to him. 


While speaking I was reminded of the movie Second Hand Lions (it's a coming of age film about a young boy being reluctantly raised by two old bachelor uncles). One of my favorite scenes is the fight at the soda shop between Uncle Hub and four rowdy teens. And yes the old warrior Uncle whoops 'em good.

Then the old tough uncle brings the boys home and gives a speech they needed  “The everything you to know to be a man speech” Later he gives part of the speech to his young nephew – and promises later to give him all of it.. Hub McCann to Walter:

" Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good. That honor, courage and virtue mean everything ; that power and money ... money and power mean nothing. That good always triumphs over evil. And I want you to remember this.... that love....true love never dies ! Remember that boy ... remember that. Doesn't matter if it is true or not, a man should believe in those things , because those are the things worth believing in...... got that ? "


I've added to this for my boys (who are now men) to include these truths to live up to:

  • Integrity always matters!   
  • Honesty is the essential ingredient in manhood. You loose honesty and you will never gain it back. 
  • Consistent is about the habits we've developed when no one was looking.  
  • Dependable always be one others can depend on – therein lies the secrets of leadership. 
You wish to be at the next level? That will get you there every time. 


Psalm 119:50 - Your promise revives me; 
it comforts me in all my troubles. 
Psalm 146: 6 - He made heaven and earth, the sea, 
and everything in them. He keeps every promise forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment