Monday, August 3, 2009

Are you looking?

Psalm 63.2

One of my fondest memories from growing up was being a part of a JROTC program. This wonderful leadership program was instrumental in my life. One of the awesome things to me was the opportunity to be around men who had or were currently serving in the Army. To me, they are men to be greatly respected for their courage, commitment, and dedication to the ideals of our nation.

The men in charge of this program had in recent days been responsible for the training of actual combat ready forces. However, their mission now was to instill in us a sense of discipline and pride while developing leadership skills.

One of the ways they accomplished their mission was in teaching us to align in proper formation and perform close order marching drills. Early on I was selected to serve as a squad leader. My job was simple. Make sure the line was straight. Also on uniform day make sure all the squad was properly attired. At first, I did not do so well. Our retired Master Sergeant patiently helped me see what I did not see.

His favorite line of instruction was, “You are looking and not seeing.” I found out that meant I was actually looking at the wrong things. Sure everyone was in line, but the line was not straight.

This may be what happens to us in worship. We go to worship. We sing the songs. We even listen intently to the sermon. But we do not see the Lord. Truth is He is there. Truth is He desires to manifest his presence around you. Trouble is we are not looking for him.

What is your expectation for worship? Are you expecting to see God move in your life and in your church? Are you really thinking that Jehovah will transform your life and those around you with His power?

Unfortunately, too many of us trust our programs and pageantry more than we do the power of God. The Psalmist entered to worship with this desire: I want to see God! Listen to his heart in Psalm 63.2 So I have looked for You in the sanctuary, To see Your power and Your glory.

“You are looking and not seeing!” Open up those eyes and look for God.

Always Enthusiastic,
Dr. Rusty Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment