Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Rock

2 Samuel 22.2


I have always been fond of rocks. There is even an old friend of mine that has a rock collection from every place around the world she has lived or traveled. The kinds of rocks I like are the big ones you can climb on and crawl over and even explore. They fascinate me.


The Scripture speaks of rocks and even on a few occasions gives us an image of Father God as our rock. In 2 Samuel 22 David sings a song of the great deliverance he has experienced from all his enemies. In this song he runs with the thought of Father as his rock.


Listen to him sing:

"The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the strength of my salvation, and my stronghold, my high tower, my savior, the one who saves me from violence. I will call on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, for he saves me from my enemies.” (2 Samuel 22.2-4).


Let’s consider for a minute that the imagery of God as rock conveys several exciting things. First, we see the image as protection and shade. In the near eastern desert regions spring rains produce quick vegetation that sweltering sunlight kills in a matter of weeks. However, drop a rock –bolder at the edge of the desert and a small oasis will emerge. Father is like that for us. Many of you are in a desert place on life journey right now. Father has provided you with spiritual rain. And get this, please don’t miss this. He is your ROCK in that desert for an oasis.


Secondly, we see the image as refuge and security. Psalm 18, which is the identical song of David as 2 Samuel, reveals that in a time of flight David found refuge in the wilderness rocks and high places. He knew every crack and cranny, he knew all the secret passages in that rock. He was secure because in the rock he was higher than his enemies. Don’t waste your times of flight and crisis. Use these times to get to know your Father God. Explore Him intimately through the Word. Find all the secret passages of security in him. Stop running to the imitation salvation's of food, drugs, improper relationships, and escapism of the world – they cannot save you. Run to Jesus, the only true, living, and lasting savior.


We also see the image as foundation and strength. In Psalm 40.2 we read that “…He set my feet on the rock.” Jesus closed down the Sermon on the Mount with the story of building your house on sand or a rock. Listen to Jesus. Cause the winds, rains, and storms will come. It is the house on the rock that makes it. Get it? Your life will only make it when you are built on the rock foundation of Jesus Christ.


Wow – how’s that for a ROCK?


The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the strength of my salvation, and my stronghold. I will call on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, for he saves me from my enemies. Psalm 18.2-3


Always Enthusiastic,

Dr. Rusty Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment