Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Joy Will Return

Psalm 51.8

Every time without exception that my eyes fall upon the 51st Psalm I stand in absolute awe of the grace of the Almighty. You know the background to this famous Psalm – it is described for us in the prelude as the response to the confrontation David experienced because of his known sin. This psalm gives to us a pattern for true repentance for our sins.

There is something else here that makes me marvel at our Lord’s love. It is the simple fact that if David could be forgiven of his multiple sins produced by this event then we have hope. Even more than that not only did he receive forgiveness he also came away restored.

Oh, give me back my joy again; you have broken me-- now let me rejoice…Restore to me again the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you…Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves; then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness. (8,12,14).

Do you see the pathway to victory? Repent – confess all your sins to the Lord. He already knows them all but he is looking for you to be honest with yourself. Rejoice – you’ve been treated with mercy and goodness and grace by the Lord Jesus. Paul reminded us in Romans that where sin increased grace increases much more – now you can shout! Restore – you do not have to stay down, stay depressed, and stay pitiful. Since the Father has restored you to usefulness and productivity stay available to him.

Joy will return! It’s a promise of the Lord.

Always Enthusiastic,

Dr. Rusty Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment