Friday, June 19, 2009

I need fuel

Psalm 19:12

My son was almost completely out of gas for his jeep. It is so low that he feared even driving it to the fuel station. “Dad, I have to have gas to make this thing go!”

I disagreed with him completely. He, in fact, does not need fuel to make it go. With his physical abilities he could push it!

I know what you are thinking – come on dad he will not get very far that way. Actually, this mode of transporting that jeep would be dangerous because he could not control the direction of the vehicle with safety. And now that we’ve had this little chat I believe you’ve convinced me. He does need the fuel.

What fuels your life? Have you thought about that lately? What is it that makes you go? A lot of people would say their heart. I have come to the conclusion that if your heart is what drives your life you are dangerously out of control and will not get very far.

Our hearts were never designed to fuel us. The heart, or center of emotion as we consider it in biblical thought, has the capacity to fool us not fuel us. David wrote, “How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults.”

You see what David discovered is that at his core he cannot trust himself. This confession is a repentance of who he is as a son of Adam. The flesh is always lurking just ready to pounce suspecting or unsuspecting.

This is why we must be filled with the Spirit of God. He alone restores the image and nature of God to you. He alone can direct you, drive you…FUEL you!

You need fuel to make the jeep go – and you need the Spirit to make you go!

Oh, Father, there is no way we can know all the sins sneaking around our hearts. Clean us up Lord of these hidden secret faults of our human nature. Now, please fill us fresh with your Spirit so we may be fueled for the life of Christ. Amen.

Always Enthusiastic,
Dr. Rusty Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment