Monday, June 15, 2009

Overflowing

Psalm 45

Overflow, what a great word. Just think for a minute of all the things that can mean. Let’s ponder for a minute and see if we cannot produce a smile.


Overflow bowl of homemade ice cream from Bluebell. Overflow cup of lemonade. Overflow plate of bar-b-que and stew. Overflow room in church full because the worship center is packed (every preacher smiled on that one). Overflow heart that is rushing over the edge with wonderful thoughts of Jesus.


Overflow is a wonderful expression for passionate worship of the Lord. The sons of Korah came to a place of overflow in their service of the Lord. Almost in a tremendous moment of exuberance, like they could not help themselves, they took up pen to compose a shout to the Lord.


“My heart is overflowing with a good theme; I recite my composition concerning the King; my tongue is the pen of a ready writer.” (45:1). They could not help themselves but praise His name. They could not help themselves but to dream of the glorious wedding day when King and Bride will be united. In the words of the old spiritual I love – Oh Happy Day!


Allow your heart to get full today. Do not fight back the thoughts, emotions, and dreams of your Lord. Go ahead Overflow with praise to the one who is “…fairer than the sons of men…the Mighty One with…glory and majesty – your throne, o God, is forever and ever!” (3-6)


Oh happy day (oh happy day)
Oh happy day (oh happy day)
When Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)
When Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)
When my Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)
He washed my sins away


He taught me how (oh, He taught me how)
To wash (to wash, to wash)
Fight and pray (to fight and pray)
Fight and pray
And he taught me how to live rejoicing
yes, He did (and live rejoicing)
Oh yeah, every, every day (every, every day)
(oh yeah) Every day!


Always Enthusiastic,

Dr. Rusty Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment